Best Practices Teaching Online
Links on this page to external sources do not represent endorsement by COLP or the SUS.
We are providing below research-based best practices in online learning design and delivery to enhance online students learning outcomes. This body of literature could empower any online faculty seeking to make a difference in student learning online and their satisfaction with services provided by the SUS. Please note that our list is not exhaustive and we intend to update our proposed links based on current research in the field.
Getting the information to the students
- Instructional Strategies for Online Courses and Different Learning Styles – Discusses different strategies for Online Learning, such as learning contracts, discussion, lecture, etc.
- Example Syllabus
Being a successful instructor
What Makes a Successful Online Facilitator, Discusses the basic criteria for a person to be successful as an online facilitator
Instructional Strategies / Pedagogy
- Ice Breakers Activities at the start of a class session can serve many purposes. Learn some of these purposes and how ice breakers work.
- Facilitating Every Student in an Online Course Article discussing how the online course facilitator is charged with the task of developing the skills of these non-ideal students while creating a learning environment suitable to various needs, preferences, and abilitites
- Online Response Time Are you always racing the clock when you teach an online course? In this Pointer and Clicker article you will find time management tips to integrate into the design of your course. Specifically, the discussion explores online response time for three areas of online courses: e-mail messages; asynchronous conferencing and homework/tests.
- Elements of Instruction
- Providing Feedback
- What Makes a Successful Online Student , discusses qualities that the online student should possess
- What Every Student Should Know About Online Learning What should you know before beginning and online program
- Tips for Online Success – Learn some tips for how to get the most out of your online learning experience
- Time Management Advantage – Time Management Strategies for Online College Students.
Other Reference you to consult